Policies and Prerequisites
The following CCAC policies establish the ground rules for governing the Assessment and Certification Program.
There are also CCAC policies that establish the basic requirements for each institutional program within the Canadian system of oversight of animal ethics and care:
Institutions wishing to obtain a first certificate require the following elements before their first regular CCAC assessment visit:
- compliance with CCAC policy on: terms of reference for animal care committees particularly in the following areas:
- the creation of an animal care committee;
- an animal protocol form (or forms); and
- complete protocols submitted by researchers and teachers for all planned animal-based work, with the animal care committee having reviewed and made decisions on any protocols planned for the near future;
- a formal agreement or agreements for veterinary services; and
- trained, qualified personnel in sufficient numbers to care for all groups of animals seven days a week.