Standards & Policies
Standards are developed and revised in response to the current and emerging needs of the research community, advances in laboratory animal care, and the needs of the CCAC Assessment and Certification Program. The CCAC Standards Program is responsible for:
- Development of reference standards
- Development of policies for reference standards, assessment and certification
- Championing the principles of the Three Rs
- Achievement of international harmonization
- Establishment of national and international credibility
The CCAC works with volunteer subcommittees of experts to to develop and revise guidelines for the care and use of animals in science (following an established process), and other resources to support the implementation of guidelines.
Assessments of institutional animal care and use programs by the CCAC are based on these standards and guidance documents which are recognized nationally and internationally.